Aims of the programme
This program is intended for all students wishing to:
- Have an experience in France after a Bachelor or before a Master,
- Prepare an admission to Network "n+i" school for a master's degree,
- Prepare apprenticeship training funded by a company,
Advantages of a PreMaster
- A discovery of French culture in a high-level scientific and technical programme,
- A better preparation for studies in France (upgrading),
- A better preparation for admission to an engineering school at the same time as French students.
- A preparation for business-funded studies (scholarships and / or apprenticeships),
- Reduces the cost of study in France by accessing to apprenticeship,
- During the PreMaster students are accommodated in host families during 8 weeks.
Duration and credits
The duration of PreMaster is 10-12 months (2 semesters from September till August) followed by a 2-year programme of Master.
This PreMaster do not lead to a degree but gives 60 ECTS credits transferable.
In French: the required level is the level A2 (beginner). If the student does not have the level A2, he can reach it by following, just before the PreMaster, a Package of Linguistic Integration (PIL).
In English: If French language is low while the level of English has to be good, either: IELTS> 6, TOEFL (paper)> 600, TOEFL (internet)> 90, TOEIC> 850.
The Programme of PreMaster
A PreMaster offers the same Welcome and Discovery Package than for other students and the language and methodological packages that are included in the program PreMaster:
First semester (PreMaster center) from September to January :
- Welcome in September. This welcome is the one described on the page "Welcome and Discovery Package",
- Courses are divided into two parts:
- The part of intensive French courses (35% of the time) adapted to the level of the student or even English courses to reach a B2 level in both languages.
- The scientific and technical part (65% of the time) including:
- A continuation of intensive French courses in specialty,
- Group work on project objectives,
- Courses that can be taught in French and English, theoretical (maths, sciences), laboratories, practical work,
- Methodology courses (note-taking, report writing, oral presentation, ...),
- Cultural visits and industrial sites
Second semester (location: school campus chosen for the master) from January to June:
Participation in the activities of students engineers of M0 (1st year of the cycle of engineers) for a better integration and preparation to the master programme (French course FLE, practical work, directed exercises, courses, personal work ...).
In June, depending on the profile, students can be offered an internship.
After the PreMaster
Option 1: A guaranteed master in initial training.
Subject to validation of the PreMaster and the 60 ECTS credits required for enrollment in a Master (M1 + M2), the student will continue his master's studies in one of the schools of Network "n+i" with exemption of path to success.
Option 2: A master with apprenticeship
Subject to being selected by a company for an apprenticeship contract.
Since 1987, in France, it is possible to obtain a diploma of higher education by practicing the alternation between school and company under contract of apprenticeship. Today, more than 15% of graduates are apprentices.
At the end of the 2-year period, this apprenticeship training offers an engineering degree recognized by the accreditation organisation CTI. Apprentices-students benefit from the help of the company to pay the training, from a monthly salary and at the end of the training a first professional experience in a company in France.
The "apprentice" status can only be obtained after 12 months of studies in France and on the condition that a company is associated.
What is the cost of training for the apprentice-student? €0
The training is funded by the regional councils and a special tax "apprenticeship tax"; Apprentices receive support for travel, accommodation and catering. They are tax-exempted for most of their income.
Do I have the same degree?
YES: apprenticeship is a modality, degree is the same whatever the modality is.
You get an engineering degree (master's degree) and the company participates in the evaluation.
Competence certification is done in real situations!
The cost of a PreMaster
Academic PreMaster costs are € 10 100 *(price in 2020) and include:
Not included: living expenses (accommodation, food etc.) for the duration of the programme, air tickets, visa fees.
*See the n+i price list