The ISIMA (Institut Supérieur d'Informatique de Modélisation et de leurs Applications) is a French graduate engineering school focused on computing and its applications.
After a common first year, students can choose between five options:
- Hardware and Circuit Conception
- Software engineering, Operating Systems and Networks
- Computer Sciences for Information and Decision Systems
- Computation and Scientific Modelling (Applied Mathematics)
The school is located on the vast scientific campus of the Université Blaise Pascal (UBP : http://www.univ-bpclermont.fr/) overlooking the city of
At the crossroad of three main motorways and several train lines,
Every year, the city of
The school itself is located on the western edge of the Cézeaux Campus and is connected to the city centre, two miles away, by three bus lines and a tram.
The quality of the academic courses which are on offer at the school, as well as its understanding of labour market demands, are both closely linked to the experienced teaching staff, who have carried out research projects in collaboration with numerous industrial partners (Michelin, Aérospatiale, France Télécom R&D, EDF, IBM, Hewlett-Packard, CAP GEMINI ...)
The creation of the ISIMA was the result of a joint and genuine desire on the part of both local government and regional economic leaders.
The pedagogical project behind the ISIMA is characterized by:
- A very broad-based first year core curriculum
- A broad spectrum of specializations offered in the 2nd and 3rd years where students can decide to choose one of the five following options:
* Hardware and Circuit Conception
* Software Engineering, Operating Systems and Networks
* Computer Sciences for Information and Decision Systems
* Computation and Scientific Modelling (Applied Mathematics)
- The opportunity in the 3rd year to commence research work by studying for a Masters Recherche (research-oriented Master's degree) at the same time as completing the school's diploma course, and during an optional 4th year with a DSR (Diplôme de Spécialisation par la Recherche)
- The possibility to choose transversal modules (bioinformatics, business management)
- A strong emphasize on professional working life through industrial placement periods in a company or in a laboratory in France or abroad at the end of the 2nd and 3rd years.
ISIMA is located in Clermont-Ferrand, which is an esay life town and one of the least expensive towns in France, which has no problem with safty and where housing is easy to find (ISIMA has its own housing pool).
Relations with the professional world are at the heart of a graduate engineering school. This implies work placements and graduate job offers for the students, and technology transfer for the research laboratories.
Before graduation, the students at the ISIMA experience two internships of 6 months each in industrial compagnies or research laboratories.
Some companies take an even more active role within the school through various means: teaching, conferences and forums. Here is a sample list of these companies, IBM (which is president of the school's board of trustees), CAP GEMINI, SIEMENS, MICHELIN, ATOS ORIGIN, SAGEM, SYNTEGRA, THOMSON, Banque Populaire, Crédit Agricole, Cosytec, SNCF, ALMA, AUBERT ET DUVAL.
Some facilities are closed from the campus : practicing sport, supermarkets ...
It is straightforward to go downtown with the tram... it allow other possibilities : movies, shopping, shows...
Students at ISIMA can live in reserved rooms or flats through the CROUS facilities.
Some private companies also offer lodging in the vicinity of the campus.
The costs stand between 78 euros for a single room to 370 euros for quite a big flat, considering students can receive help from the CAF organization (this help is called "APL").
Details are provided on this page (written in french).