Life in France

Q: I'm afraid to arrive alone in Paris where I don't know anyone!
If you have opted for the "n+i" welcome, don’t worry! An "n+i" representative will be at the airport or railway station to meet you. We will take care of your transport to your place of study. Your insurance will be handled by "n+i".

Q: Is student life better in Paris or elsewhere in France?
The "diplôme d'ingénieur" or master is  a national degree in France, which means that it has the same value regardless of the schools that awards it.  Your choice of a city is a question of taste and means.  Paris, the capital, is more expensive but offers a lot of entertainment and vast cultural resources.

Q: Can an "n+i" student work while attending the program?
Yes, international students are allowed to work 17 hours per week.  But be careful not to spend too much energy in those activities because your studies require a lot of work.

Q: How much do students need to meet their monthly needs? How much money do a student  need per month for his/her basic needs  ?
It may cost you a minimum of 1200 €  per month to live in France. With the savings from University Boarding and University Restaurants you may be able to manage with 770 € per month for your basic need (living expenses).

Q: What discounts can I get with my student ID? Do I get discounts with my student ID card ? If yes, what are they ?
Yes. You get discounts  in museums, movie theaters, shows, some restaurants, public transportation (train, bus, metro), and much more.

Q: Are international students entitled to national health insurance and other social benefits?
Yes. "n+i" and your school will enroll you in the insurance plan.
Over the age of 28 years, the health insurance system is different but your correspondent "n+i" in your host school will inform you.

Q: How do you open a bank account in a French bank?
You need a passport, residency permit, and proof of address in France, plus a minimum amount of money to deposit.  Your "n+i" adviser will be able to help you!