Connect to Doctorate (PhD)
This program is dedicated to doctoral candidates who already graduated a Master and would like to complete their training with a doctorate in France.
A doctoral student is no longer a student but a member of a research team!
Recruitment must meet the following conditions:
- Having a Master's degree recognized competence in the field of the research (eg. Master "n+" or Master "i" with Network "n+i")
- Clearly identify a research laboratory in terms of research programs and research facilities that will condition the choice of the subject of the thesis,
- Permission from the Professor (and the doctoral institute) who will supervise the research (thesis).
Find a research laboratory? A major act
For a doctoral student, finding a research laboratory is a great importance for the thesis itself and for the rest of his/her career. It is necessary that the student feels perfectly well in his environment of research and for his everyday life (city, region) where he will have to spend 3 years working full-time!
The Professor or Phd supervisor, which recruits a collaborator with whom he/she will work every day, must ensure himself of the scientific and technological capabilities of the student as well as for his human qualities (creativity, autonomy, openness, ability to team work...).
Using the "n+i" web site, the student will be put into contact with several potential teams (meetings with Professors and researchers) and will visit the laboratories (equipment) where the research will be conducted. The future candidate will, so, be able to be informed about the environment of his/her research: living conditions, accommodation, city services, schools for children...
First Part of Connect to Doctorate: the search of potential laboratories
The doctoral candidates through this orientation programme must complete an application for thesis on www.nplusi.com.
The Network "n+i" will be responsible to contact and submit the applications to the French laboratories.
The interested research laboratories, may propose online interviews (Skype) to candidates. These candidates can pre-select laboratories that could match with their expectations.
The cost of this first part of the Connect to Doctorate "n+i" is € 1,300.
The Network "n+i" is committed to actively seek for laboratories and to report the results to the candidates.
In case of failure, the Network "n+i" cannot be held responsible for the result but will reimburse €650 to the candidate.
Second part of the Connect do Doctorate in France: Stay of orientation and selection
A remote contact is clearly insufficient to allow the doctoral candidate or the lab, to take a crucial decision.
In order to help with this decision the Network "n+i" can arrange visits in France for the doctoral student and organize meetings with the potential research laboratories.
Stay of orientation and selection:
- The student must select the laboratories he would like to visit,
- The Network "n+i" will organize in March, a tour of the laboratories (included: transfers, accommodation, appointment...). Arrival Thursday, March 3, 2015 (special programmes on request).
- These meetings will be preceded by a special welcome "n+i" in Paris for 2 days with: reception at the airport, transfers, accommodation, tours of Paris, insurance...
- Each visit of laboratory must be an opportunity to meet with the director of the laboratory, researchers, school officials, visiting the laboratories and discover the research ressources. It is also an opportunity to discover the city, the campus, services (cultural and sports activities, schools for children, health services, nurseries...)...
- Each visit of laboratory lasts maximum 2 to 3 days.
- At the end of the stay, all doctoral candidates will gather in Paris for a summary of their appointment.
- Candidates who have one or more confirmed proposals from laboratories will participate in a 2 days module about life in France (insurance, banking, French courses, seminars, cultural and touristic tours, airport transfer for flight back…)
- During two days of end of stay candidates with offers will end with a cultural and touristic program and transfer to the airport for the flight back.
The cost of this stay of orientation and selection in France, that includes laboratory visits (transfers, hotels, meals,...) depend on the number of visits and their situation, they will be budgeted separately to the student according to their choice.
These stays can be organized by the Network "n+i or directly by the doctoral student and/or the french laboratory.
No minimum level in French
There is no courses during the doctoral research work, unless specific request from the Professor responsible of the doctoral. Confirm the PhD programme before the start of your thesis! Therefore there are no specific requirements of French level to start your thesis because everyone in the lab will speak English.
To obtain a visa for Phd in France the student must provide proof of means of subsistence (living expenses).
Note A student who has a scholarship for three years increases the chances of recruitment.
At the end of your visits, it will be easier for the laboratory to determine possible funding (full or partial) for the candidate.
There are also scholarships for doctoral programs. Schools, laboratories or the Network "n+i" will make the application directly:
- CIFRE ANRT scholarship financed by the French government and business,
- Life expenses scholarship by a region,
- Scholarship from a school (research)
The best way to start your PhD
The Network "n+i" proposes at any doctoral student before the beginning of his thesis in France, the packages:
- The Cultural Integration Package PIC, which includes, among others, welcome in Paris, visits, insurance, supports, transfers...
- The Package for Linguistic Integration, intensive French courses (July-September) before the start of the thesis as the goal remains a good knowledge, in fine, of French culture.
- Transfer to the research laboratory
The welcome is reserved for a doctoral student alone. The welcome of his family must be a specific request and to be confirmed by the student.